Do you listen to podcasts?
I became a big fan recently, but I find the podcast functionality within iTunes to be a bit clunky. I don’t like having to plug my iPhone in to get updated episodes and trying to download new episodes directly to the iPhone is frustrating at best.
I first heard about Downcast after discovering that blogging icon Michael Hyatt had started a new podcast. I’ve subscribed to Michael’s blog on intentional leadership and publishing for 2 years and he always recommends quality books and products so I gave Downcast a spin.
What I liked:
- App icon. That might be an odd thing to comment on, but I don’t think I’ve ever read any app reviews that mentioned the design of the app icon. Downcast is simple and clean with a bold splash of color.
- Easily add podcasts. You can search for podcasts or browse popular categories. Simply tap “subscribe” and you’re all set. Downcast automatically downloads the latest episode.
- Queue. New episodes are queued up to download and you can limit downloads to only when wifi is available. Episodes can also be synced to iCloud.
- Sharing. If you find a particular episode compelling you can share it to Twitter, Facebook, Evernote or email. I listen to TED Talks and this happens often.
- Universal. I actually didn’t know until I wrote this post that Downcast was a universal app. Basically you get to enjoy all the great features on both the iPhone & iPad with one purchase.
What I did not like:
… well… I… uh…
Okay, I know objective reviews usually find something negative to say so that the content is fair and balanced, but I couldn’t find anything to complain about.
Maybe the price? However, at $1.99 for all the features it was worth it so that’s not a legitimate issue.
What are your favorite podcasts? Do you use a podcatching app?