I have always wanted to do a top 5 of something on Geek for Him and just never knew on what. Well since I am growing the site traffic wise, and found a super cool article on how, I figured I would write a bit on that.
But before I start, why do you want more traffic? Are you trying to get traffic for advertisers? Are you trying to build a community? Are you just trying to be nice and offer up some wisdom that you think is new or different?
No matter what your goal, the below list can help you out in gaining a bit more traffic.
Below is a very broad sweep of a few possible Top 5 Ways To Increase Your Traffic.
- I have read a lot of blogs, websites, even those hardcover things called books. What sticks out in my mind as the top way to bring in visitors – write a controversial title! Write a title that will grab someone by the hair and yank a bit. Wake them up in the morning. I am not saying, forget who you are and do this just for the traffic BUT this is an easy way for folks to click on a link.
- Once your visitor has clicked on your super cool and controversial title, you need to be able to deliver on it. If I were to click on a link with a cool and grasping title, only to come and find out that the content sucks. Well you know what I would do – split fast as I could! If you really want folks to read your content and come back, well you need to give them a reason to stay.
- In your quest for more traffic, staying true to who you are is HUGE. People want the same person each and every time then return to a site. Don’t be someone on Friday and Saturday only to turn into a different person when you write on the site. I stick to being my openly blunt and sometimes over the top self. I don’t want to portray someone else on my website!
- Give credit where credit is due. When writing you don’t want to steal from someone who has done hard work behind the scenes of a post or article. Give them credit. This shows a little of who you are and adds only to your reputation as a writer. Don’t start copying/rewording things just to grab traffic. (see the link below as to where I got this list from!)
- Always provide value. I know this can be hard but I would rather stay away from writing if I am not providing any sort of value to my readers. If they were to come here and I just had diarrhea of the mouth, why would they come back. If I am not able to help at least a few of the daily visitors, well what good am I to anyone?
This is a short paraphrase of the article found here.